Friday, February 27, 2009

The Little Nyonya


Recently I'm addicted to the Singapore drama "The Little Nyonya" (THUMB UP!!!), the story was good and i came to understand more about my culture too :) Haha, thanks to the drama :P

I started to understand why some of my cousin addressed my grandma as "Ah Nyah", i never ask my parents about this until i watched the drama i just notice that "Nyah" mean mother. And the reason my cousins addressed my grandma as Nyah because my she used to take care of them since they are young, so they used to address her in that way as mother.

Besides that, i came to understand why my grandma behave in certain way which is always my doubt. She tend to "pantang" "anak dara" go out late at night, stay over night at other people house, dress up too sexy, messy hair (cos she used to asked me to "tocang" or "siput" my hair when i was long hair).....i cant think of what else she dislike us to do,lol~

After watch the drama i just realised that young nyonya are not allow to step out of the house to communicate with strangers, they have to stay at home do house chores, learn to stitch bead shoe, learn to cook peranakan's dishes...because without all this skills, they wont be able to promote themselves to get a better husband. Hmm...i feel like learning to stitch beadshoe,hehe...just for the sake of interested, nothing more than that.

Furthermore, we also always have peranakan's dishes such as "pongteh", and i miss nyonya kueh so much now (hungry~) Proud to be part of the peranakan :) and a nice word for peranakan is, I'm "mix" and im not pure chinese, haha...and oh ya, peoples tend to misunderstand me as Malay, yea i look like Malay but dun use the word "MALAY", please use the proper word ----"PERANAKAN", cos it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!

And lastly i really like the way nyonya dress up, kebaya is always look "SEXY"! There is a different between the nyonya and bibik fashion (picture has shown above).